Sunday, February 10, 2013

Photo Class 4/30

Zoomed in shot. Seemed relevant for a focal length lesson
Lesson 4.  This one's all about focal length.  The objective is to see the differences in focal length, as well as demonstrating "zooming with your feet".  Following are 18mm, 25mm, 33mm, 43mm, the previous 18mm cropped, and 55mm shots from the same spot.  They are all on a tripod.  The last picture is a 18mm shot, framed similarly to the 55mm shot.

18mm

25mm

33mm

43mm

18mm, cropped to a similar field of view as 55mm

55mm

18mm, "zoomed with my feet" to try to frame it similarly to the 55mm shot above
I made the pictures extra large to try to make comparison easier.  First step is comparing the 55mm shot with the 18mm shot that I "zoomed with my feet" to take.  Very obvious are the different reflections in the mirror and the fireplace marble.  That shows very clearly that the pictures were taken from different locations.  The light is also showing through a different part of the vase.  Finally, the way the plant overlaps the vase and the owl overlaps the candle is different.

Second was supposed to be to reduce the 55mm shot's size and overlay it on the 18mm shot.  Instead I cropped the 18mm shot.  Comparing them, the only difference I see is that they were exposed differently.

As far as perspective distortion, I recommend reading this.  Focal length doesn't affect it.  I think the 18mm cropped vs 55mm photo shows this pretty clearly.  That's it for lesson 4.  Lesson 5 to come someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment