Thursday, March 6, 2014

Cold Weather Birds

Seeds?!

Wow it's been a while. I've got quite a backlog. Charleston, Springfield, Starling fights... I need to get on the ball!

It's been a very snowy winter, and it seems like the only birds we see in the backyard anymore are European starlings. They're surprisingly colorful up close, but not exactly my favorite, especially since they're highly invasive and non-native. The birds finally started coming back for spring, so there were plenty this week when we got a nice freezing rain/snow/10 degree temperature mix.

The cardinal in the opening picture was searching for seeds in the feeder. Unfortunately for him, I was not about to venture outside.


The robins, mockingbirds and starlings were all puffed up to stay warm. I've never seen so many puffed up birds in one place.

Puffy Mockingbird

I'm not sure if the birds can see me through the window I like to take pictures through. It certainly looks like it was looking directly at me.

Cough

The poor birds were stuck resorting to eating snow to try to get some water.

I've never seen so many birds on the fence before

European starling

Blue Jay

The Blue Jay appears to be looking right at me too. Maybe they hear the shutter. Or maybe they do see me through the glass, and have been around residential areas enough to know that humans inside a house aren't a threat. He was hunting, but did not have a fruitful day in my backyard. My day went much better, fortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment